Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My Favorite attraction spot in Hong Kong--Victoria Harbour

I had shared some of my favorites about Hong Kong in the last few posts. This time, I want to share my favorite tourist attraction in Hong Kong—Victoria Harbour. Victoria Harbour is a well-known signature of Hong Kong. If you see the background of my blog, the harbour in the middle is Victoria Harbour! It is really pretty so it becomes a major tourist spot in Hong Kong as well. If you visit Hong Kong, you should definitely visit this spectacular spot!
Victoria Harbour Day Time

Victoria Harbour Night Time


Some history of Victoria Harbour: It is a natural landform harbour formed between Hong Kong Island and the Kowloon Peninsula. (If you look at the background, the side near you is Hong Kong Island and the other side is Kowloon Peninsula). The harbour was first called as “Hong Kong Harbour” originally. After The Second World War, Hong Kong became a British colony. The harbour was renamed as “Victoria Harbour” which is named after Queen Victoria.



The Dark Knight Shooting in the tallest building in Hong Kong

Since the Victoria Harbour has a world-famous stunning night view, it is constantly used as a place for fireworks display during Chinese New Year and National Day. Moreover, the beautiful view is world-known that have attracted Hollywood to film here. If you have watched the "batman" movie The Dark Knight, you may not know that there are some screen shots were shot in Hong Kong actually. And it has used the marvellous night views of Victoria Harbour. I personally think the night view of Victoria Harbour is amazing!
 It is a little bit hard to see, but the background in this picture is the Victoria Harbour (movie The Dark Knight)


On the other hand, there is no bridge between the two islands. You can either take the three cross-harbour tunnels or take the ferry to cross the harbour. The ferry on Victoria Harbour becomes another traditional characteristic of Hong Kong.


Ferry on Victoria Harbour


Lastly, because of the shortage of land, Victoria Harbour has been under several reclamations. It is sad to admit the fact but the harbour is become narrower and narrower. I hope people in Hong Kong can treasure this beautiful view and be environmental friendly. Otherwise, people will not be able to visit this famous harbour in the future.



More information of Victoria Harbour on this link:


http://www.chinahighlights.com/hong-kong/attraction/victoria-harbor.htm

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved reading your Blog since they are so informative and very well written. I love traveling and learning about unique tourist attraction places like Victoria Harbor which looks stunning at nights and makes me go there and see it for myself. I like how you gave a little history of Victoria harbor and that mentioned that the land is getting narrower which seems like a pretty big issue since its going to make land smaller and consequently life for native people harder. I think you are a credible person for writing about Hong Kong since you are native and know a lot about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find your blog very interesting to read because I am someone who loves to travel but unfortunately does not get to very much on account of my student budget. I think the contrast between the culture in Hong Kong and the culture in America is very interesting to see, and I love the fact that each post is supplemented with so many pictures. I also like that you cover all aspects of Hong Kong--not just the food or the sights but a different genre every week, such as a game or in this post's case an attraction. I agree with the poster above as well; you definitely assert your expertise and I feel like I am getting an authentic little piece of Hong Kong when I read your blog, a much more authentic opinion than I would get from wikipedia or some other generic informational site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victoria harbor is a really beautiful place, especially at night. It's great to get this tour of the various aspects of Hong Kong life, from locations to culture. I like being able to compare some of these aspects of life to my own. Life in Hong Kong and life in the states doesn't have to be so different though; I play Mahjong with my friends every now and again and I especially enjoy Chinese New Year and seeing relatives (read: getting 红包)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Hong Kong, not many people know that one of the most dangerous airports in located there. To approach the airport, huge commercial airliners have to initiate a slanted approach, making a last minute turn when they are at a very low altitude. The they have to fly right in between the highest skylines in the world; a very dramatic way of finishing a flight:-)

    ReplyDelete